Active transportation refers to any form of non-polluting, human-powered transportation
There are many modes and methods of travel that involve active transportation
- In-line Skating
The risk of obesity decline 5% for each kilometer walked per day while obesity increases 6% for each hour spent sitting in a vehicle
What are the Benefits of Active Transportation?
- Health – active transportation provides the opportunity to be active on a regular basis and as part of your daily routine. Stronger bones and muscles, improved self-esteem, enhanced motivation to learn, improved academic performance and sense of well-being while reducing stress and risk of chronic disease all benefit those who use active transportation.
- Environmental – active transportation can improve air quality and water quality while reducing green house gas emissions and global climate change. Less roadways and parking lots saves valuable green space
"If just nine families regularly walked to school over the course of a school year, they can collectively prevent almost 1,000 kg of carbon dioxide from being released into the atmosphere." (Active, Safe Routes to School)
- Active and Alternative Transportation (102 KB)
Active and alternative transportation to support healthy living in Grey Bruce
- Active and Safe Routes to School (139 KB)
Active and Safe Routes to School - School Travel Planning
- ICANWALK Checklist (1.56 MB)
Use this checklist to rate the walkability of your neighbourhood or community
- Saving Money and Time with Active School Travel (1.46 MB)
- Youth Moving Safely with Active Transportation (390 KB)